This week (23rd - 29th December) is British Game Week! Usually, this is a week that we celebrate in glorious fashion at all of our restaurants. As a company that revolves our entire model around 'local & wild', eating, sourcing and cooking game is essential to how we operate.
Since we can't showcase our love for game in the restaurants this week, we're doing so over on The Store with a range of fantastic wild produce and ready-to-heat dishes from chef Oliver Gladwin.
If because it's simply delicious is not enough of an answer, we're passionate about eating wild food for a number of reasons. We've listed 5 of those reasons below - if you're not a wild-o-phile, we hope this inspires you to give it a try! Scroll further down for links to wild meat and dishes available for order on The Store.
REASONS TO EAT GAME MEAT:
1) It is Ethical. If you're reading this, we assume you're a person that is mindful about what you eat, especially when it comes to high-welfare meat. Wild game is as free-range meat as you can find it, read more on British Game Alliance to read about quality and ethical assurance when sourcing game.
2) It is better for you! Yes, it's nutritionally a better meat to eat when it comes to your health. From being low in fat and cholesterol, to the natural way it's grown, game is proven to be a healthier choice. Check out this infographic to better understand the nutrition.
3) It supports local and British! Independent, local suppliers are more important to us as a community now than ever.
4) It plays an important part in animal conservation through the support of game suppliers; "The wild game industry plays a fundamental role in managing the populations of game in the UK; without the work of estates and the game industry, populations would increase to unsustainable levels. It has positive effects on the ecology of our natural landscape." - Taste of Game
5) It is versatile in the kitchen! Game meat from pheasant to venison to grouse and beyond, are easily adaptable to recipes that ask for more traditional meat. Moreover you can use game in almost unlimited ways, and when it comes to a zero-waste perspective, game is a great option.
At the moment we're delivering a wonderful selection of game, visit The Store to order our wild products from Venison Ravioli to Grouse Saltimbocca, Venison Shoulder and Boerewors to Pigeon Farmhouse Terrine and more.
Happy wild cooking!